Using extension cords properly is critical to your safety.
With continuous use over time, an extension cord can rapidly deteriorate, creating a potentially dangerous electric shock or fire hazard. Stay safe from electric shock and electrical fires with the following tips:
•Do not overload extension cords or allow them to run through water or snow on the ground.
•Heavy reliance on extension cords is an indication that you have too few outlets to address your needs. Have additional outlets installed where you need them.
•Make sure the extension or power strip is rated for the products you’re using and is marked for either indoor or outdoor use.
•The appliance or tool that you are using the cord with will have a wattage rating on it. Match this up with your extension cord, and do not use a cord that has a lower rating.